Saturday 15 September 2012

Little Paradise Guesthouse - Queenstown, New Zealand.

I've chosen to write about my time in Queenstown first because of our stay in the Little Paradise Guesthouse.  Basically, we stayed 20 mins drive outside the city center of Queenstown where there's no mobile reception at all and the owner does not have internet at home. We joked about how it's a cabin in the woods and how we'll get cooked by the owners because we can't call for help if we needed it.

Scary? Not at all.

This place is the highlight of our trip. The view is magnificent. Imagine living in a house where it was built meticulously from scratch. Every corner of this place were put together by Thomas, the owner. I remember how surprised I was learning that interesting piece of information because it certainly required a lot of time and dedication to build this beautiful place. 

They said that a picture can paint a thousand words but I beg to differ because I think all the pictures I've taken of the place did not do any justice at all. Still, I can't help but to take as many picture as possible so I can remember the entire trip.

Let me walk you through some of the pictures I've taken with my mobile.

When we first arrived, we were greeted by this creep spiderweb and in my head I was thinking - Oh god, we're fucked aren't we?!

The first look into the Guesthouse. Very strange but unique. I wasn't sure what to feel about it initially.

Oh yea, I don't think I've mentioned that we lived right in front of the beautiful Lake Wakatipu.

People actually travel out to this remote Guesthouse to see the place. That's how awesome it was. Need to pay NZD3 some more.

Here's the very small part of the entire garden. You'll need to spend at least 30-45 mins to thoroughly look at everything on the garden. I took pictures of everything but I don't want to give it away as it was so magical. You really need to see this place yourself to understand why I hold this place so close to my heart. Definitely a honeymoon worthy place.

This is me looking slightly cray in my polka dots tights.
Note to self: Never wear that again. It made you look stumpy.

Yup. I can always count on Karen to join me. We wanted to replace the statues so that we don't have to come back to reality.

Looking in from outside the house. You can see the ice caps through the reflections on the window. That's what we woke up to everyday then.

In to the house, we have the fireplace in our room. I was really excited because even when I was living in the UK I never had a chance to come this close to a real fireplace. It's always the electronic ones. I was very pleased!

Karen and I shared this bed. We get to see the lake lying there and star gaze before we sleep. Tim would join us but the bed is too small for three. Haha.

This is the other part of the room. We choose the room called The Singing Frog because it's the nicest and biggest. Really got frog singing at night wtf.

Everything in this room is real. The plants that's growing out of the chairs, the old school TV and the VCR player. We watched the movie, Animals on that and forgotten that you need to rewind a VCR to start from the beginning. It was hilarious. We agreed that it definitely is the last time in our lives watching a movie in VCR.

Karen and I. My face bloated as soon as I landed on NZ. WTF.

Here's more pictures of the interior. I've never taken so many pictures of a toilet before. Every pebble and carving on that wall was assembled by Thomas.

I do think that the toilet it's slightly creepy with the lalang by the window but it was very well kept and clean. There's no down time at this place other than the fact that all the guest have to share one shower room and one toilet.


The obligatory full body picture whenever there's a full length mirror. It's right behind the door.

Okay, brace yourselves for a blast of panoramic pictures of the house. I just had to. It's too hard and too much work to explain everything.

Here's the living room where guest can sit and chat. The wood thing on the wall is 100 years old.

I took a picture of the kitchen in different views. That's Thomas' wife, Christie.

That's the dining area. We were allowed to make our own food during our stay there. Shuts at 10pm though!

Our room in a panoramic view. It's beautiful. Tim slept at the single bed while Karen and I shared the Queen sized bed.

I wasn't going to post pictures of individual cool stuff in the garden but you can check out the entire view of the garden here.













Thomas is a hunter and we once saw him heading to the woods with his rifle. And below is a product of his in-the-woods activity.

Some are goat skins and some are racoon skins. I think...

Happy faces.

I hate how the camera can't capture the ice caps behind us.

It took us a while before we noticed this eagle behind our bed. I think it's real.



It took us more than an hour to get over how beautiful this Guesthouse was before we actually started unpacking.

I saw this place as part of Queenstown rather than just a place I stayed to see Queenstown. I would definitely go back. The owners wants to sell the place and I secretly hope that it's not successful. It's a special place and nothing should change.

***

Visiting Queenstown, New Zealand?

Check out Little Paradise Guesthouse. Details here: http://www.littleparadise.co.nz/

No comments:

Post a Comment